Finding a medical specialist
If you’ve arrived in Luxembourg and you already know you will need support for a medical condition – from a skin problem to an artificial heart valve – you can contact a medical specialist directly without going through your GP.
If you suspect you have a condition or need psychiatric support, a gynaecological examination or treatment for a back problem, you can also make an appointment with a medical specialist without referral.
Specialists operate through hospitals and clinics or on their own premises, and the costs of treatment and medication can be reimbursed by 80 to 100% by the CNS (the national health fund). Check first though, as not all specialist support, such as visits to a psychologist, are reimbursed.
You can find out more about the CNS in our article here.
If you have a chronic illness or established condition, you should bring or transfer detailed medical records from your previous GP or specialist, as the one you find in Luxembourg will be responsible for your long-term care and any medication required.
You can find out more about transferring your medical records here.
Finding a specialist
- Centre Hospitalier Neuro Psychiatrique
- Institut National de Chirurgie Cardiaque et de Cardiologie Interventionnelle
- Centre François Baclesse - Centre Nationale de Radiotherapie
- Centre Hospitalier de Luxembourg Maternite
- You’ll also find chronic disease management and other specialists at the Medical Centre in Limpertsberg.
To find an individual medical specialist, the Medical College lists all specialists from A to Z. You can choose from a drop-down menu of various professions.
If you prefer to search in English then Doctena.lu allows you to do so by language and specialism.
You can also contact these associations directly for information on specialists:
- Luxembourg Association of Osteopaths [ALDO]
- ALK – Luxembourgish Association of Physiotherapists
- ALO – Association of Luxembourgish speech therapists
- Hearing services
- Luxembourgish Psychological Society asbl
- Prevention Depression
- Luxembourg League of Mental Hygiene
- National Health Laboratory for blood tests
Guichet provides information about registering to practise as a medical specialist in Luxembourg.