Change Edition

Apartment fire in Clervaux injures five
Luxembourg

Apartment fire in Clervaux injures five

18.01.2017 From our online archive
Five people were rushed to hospital suspected of suffering from smoke inhalation when fire broke out in their Clervaux home in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Five people were rushed to hospital suspected of suffering from smoke inhalation when fire broke out in their Clervaux home in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

It was at about 2:15am when one resident in a first floor apartment of the building on Grand Rue, suddenly woke up to discover the room was full of smoke and a large fire was spreading throughout the apartment.

The woman was able to escape and immediately alerted all her neighbours, and Clervaux fire brigade quickly arrived at the scene to begin tackling the blaze.

The fire caused thick smoke in the building's stairwell and several inhabitants on the upper floors had to be evacuated via a ladder.

A bakery next door provided immediate shelter for the residents and all were freed from the building without major injuries. However five of them were rushed to hospital with possible poisoning from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters eventually brought the blaze under control and extinguished it, but thick smoke and damage rendered the building uninhabitable. The commune therefore arranged for a local hotel to house the residents overnight.

However, the smoke also spread to an adjoining apartment block that also had to be evacuated for safety reasons. After checks and ventilation these residents were able to return to their homes at about 4:30am.

Details of how the fire was sparked are not known at this stage and an investigation has been launched.