Change Edition

Army confirms indecent behaviour investigation
Luxembourg

Army confirms indecent behaviour investigation

26.06.2015 From our online archive
The Luxembourg army has confirmed that an investigation is ongoing against a non-commissioned officer accused of harassing three female recruits at the Herrenberg military training centre.

(CS/ml/TJ) The Luxembourg army has confirmed that an investigation is ongoing against a non-commissioned officer accused of harassing three female recruits at the Herrenberg military training centre.

RTL first reported on Friday that three female soldiers had filed complaints against the NCO for indecent behaviour. For example, he is said to have harassed them with Facebook and text messages, as well as making the women feel uncomfortable by being unnecessarily close to them during face-to-face encounters.

However, deputy army chief Alain Duschène refuted reports by RTL that the army had tried to cover up the claims and told the women to keep the incidents to themselves.

Instead, the allegations are being looked into with an investigation already ongoing, he said, nonetheless pointing out the presumption of innocence.

Duschène also confirmed that the man in question already has a record, without however divulging any details, saying that this was a private matter.

According to RTL, the NCO was previously given a suspended sentence for assaulting a female soldier while serving in Kosovo in 2007. Rape charges were not upheld. He was acquitted in a second assault trial.

Questions have now been raised why he was posted to basic training, where he would frequently be in contact with female recruits.

Duschène commented that people deserve a second chance to get back on their feet, saying that the NCO's work ethic had been good. Should the claims made by the women turn out to be legitimate, appropriate action would be taken, he assured.