10 things to know about Luxembourg City's Adolphe bridge
(CS/DL) Did you know that the “Pont Adolphe” in Luxembourg City was once a world-record holding bridge? Read on for more fun facts.
Did you know that...
1) … the Adolphe bridge once held a world record?
After three years of construction, Pont Adolphe officially opened for traffic on July 24, 1903. It's parallel arches with a span of 84.65 metres earned the 153 metre long bridge the title of biggest stone arch bridge in the world! In 1905, the title would go to a bridge in Germany. Pont Adolphe was designed by French engineer Paul Séjourné.
2) … the bridge was named after a Grand Duke?
The bridge was named after Grand Duke Adolphe, who was head of state from 1890 and 1905. Adolphe was the great-great-grandfather of Grand Duke Henri, and the first Luxembourg monarch of the House of Nassau-Weilburg. His predecessor was Guillaume III, of the House of Orange-Nassau, who was also King of the Netherlands.
The Adolphe bridge was nicknamed “Néi Bréck” – or new bridge – at the time, because there was an older bridge – the “Al Bréck” – already in place, which had opened in 1861. Despite being over 110 years old now, Luxembourgers still refer to Pont Adolphe as the Néi Bréck.
3) … the bridge has been refurbished a number of times over the years?
In the 1930s, Pont Adolphe was refitted to accommodate an electric tram that then circulated through the capital, while in 1936 the railings on the side were replaced. The first major refurbishment took place in 1961, when the concrete surface was repaved and the bridge was widened by 60 cm on each side.
In 1976, the bridge was resurfaced, while the works that began last year will see it completely overhauled and once again refitted for the tram.
4) … that 1,000 iron rods will help stabilise the bridge?
The major reason behind the large-scale refurbishment currently ongoing are cracks that were first detected in 1996. In 2003, some 258 iron fixtures were installed to stabilise the bridge, which were partially renewed in 2010. Now, the support system will be overhauled, with 1,000 iron rods, with a diameter of 3.2 cm to be installed.
5) … that the original stones will be kept?
Over the past weeks, lorries have been carting away stones removed from the arch structure. The bridge will be dismantled down to the arches during the construction works. However, the stones are numbered and taken away for cleaning to be reused when the bridge is put back together in 2016.
6) … that the refurbished bridge will be over one metre wider than before?
To make way for the tram, the bridge has to be extended on both sides by 75 cm. The general look of the bridge will change little, however, although the crests on its sides will have to be renewed because of the new lanes added. There will be two lanes for the tram and two lanes for traffic.
7) … that the blue replacement bridge is only rented?
To allow the flow of traffic to continue during construction, a temporary bridge was installed across the Pétrusse valley, right next to the Adolphe bridge. This so-called Blue Bridge is only rented, however, and once disassembled will be returned to the manufacturer.
8) … that the Blue Bridge has earned itself a nickname too?
When the Blue Bridge opened in 2014 it became apparent that the metal structure caused considerable noise in heavy traffic. Local residents complained and some changes were made to limit noise pollution in the area. Nonetheless, the bridge is often referred to as the “Plobréck”, with “Plo” the Luxembourgish word for plague and a word game on “Blo”, which means blue.
9) … that the bridge is wrapped in “bandages”?
The tarpaulin that was stretched across the scaffolding surrounding the bridge is designed to resemble bandages. Not only is the cover aimed at protecting the surrounding area from falling debris, dust, water used for cleaning and noise, but it also ties in with the information website healtheadolphebridge.lu
10) … that there is a special exhibition on the refurbishment?
At a pavilion on Boulevard Roosevelt curious minds can take a look at construction plans for the bridge. The visitor centre is open Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from 12pm to 6pm and on Wednesday from 8am to 2pm.
Don't miss the news – sign up to receive the wort.lu newsletter in English delivered to your inbox six days a week.