Change Edition

Family re-launches appeal in refuse truck death
Luxembourg

Family re-launches appeal in refuse truck death

14.10.2013 From our online archive
The death of a teenager, who was crushed in a refuse truck in April after apparently falling asleep in a bin, has still not been cleared up, with the family now calling on a person connected to the accident to come forward.

(CS) The death of a teenager, who was crushed in a refuse truck in April after apparently falling asleep in a bin, has still not been cleared up, with a family lawyer now calling on a person connected to the accident to come forward.

The 17-year-old French national is thought to have attended a party near the site of the accident on April 5, and then climbed into the bin while drunk. When the bin was emptied the following morning, the teenager was crushed to death in the refuse truck.

An autopsy following the discovery of his body had revealed that the young man, who came from the area around Nancy, had been under the influence. No signs of a violent crime were found.

Speaking to regional French newspaper “Est Républicain”, a lawyer of the boy's family, Olivier Bauer, once again appealed for a person, believed to be in possession of the teen's phone, to come forward.

According to police a person called “Soufiane” answered the young man's mobile phone hours after his death. Police had launched a public appeal back in April, but so far no one has come forward.

Bauer said that he does not believe that the incident was of a criminal nature. “Everything seems to point at an accident,” he said, adding that the file is still currently being translated from German to French, which will allow the family to understand all the details.

“My family and I wish with all our heart that Soufiane, if that is his real name, comes forward. To help us understand and lift our last doubts,” the paper quotes the victim's 20-year-old sister.

The identification and examination of the person in possession of the teenager's phone are key to bringing the investigation to an end.

While the phone has previously been geolocalised at Rue Molière in Longwy, a list of suspects who could be in possession of the phone has so far yielded no results.

With reporting by wort.lu/fr