Change Edition

New firm takes over Hamilius demolition
Luxembourg

New firm takes over Hamilius demolition

17.06.2015 From our online archive
Demolition work resumed at Royal Hamilius on Tuesday a month after the company contracted to do the work declared bankruptcy.

Demolition work resumed at Royal Hamilius on Tuesday a month after the company contracted to do the work declared bankruptcy.

ORTP SA, from Esch-sur-Alzette declared bankruptcy at the beginning of May, threatening 92 jobs. However, City Mayor Lydie Polfer on Wednesday said that the staff had since been taken on by a company called Lingenheld.

Developers Codic said this firm will now handle the demolition works, which should not incur any other delays. Demolition works were expected to start in January 2012 but finally began earlier this year after lengthy delays.

The Hamilius development will see the former bus station area replaced by a pedestrian zone surrounded by a department store with a basement supermarket and space for other small businesses along “Rue Aldringen”.

Office space and homes will also be constructed as will a large, publicly accessible roof terrace with a restaurant at the northern end of a pedestrianised square. Plans for the Royal Hamilius project were drawn up by architects Foster + Partners and Tetra, Kayser Paul & Associés.

Do not miss the news - sign up to receive the wort.lu newsletter in Englishdelivered to your inbox six days a week.