Winter activities in Luxembourg: A visit to the LuxLait Vitarium
By Rute Vendeirinho
During the winter time, it can be easy to run out of ideas on where to go with the family. To help parents, wort.lu will publish its top suggestions on the best family-friendly museums in Luxembourg. This week, we focus on the LuxLait Vitarium in Bissen.
The magnificent Vitarium building is located in Roost/Bissen, about 30 kilometres north of Luxembourg city. It opened to the public three years ago, to inform the public about the process that milk goes through before reaching our tables.
Sadly, little ones won't find any animals here. In fact, each day the milk is gathered from about 450 farms located all over the Grand-Duchy. An average of 350,000 litres of milk arrive at the Vitarium, where it is tested and the production process begins for the various types of LuxLait products.
The guided visit is carefully prepared with videos and information on each production phase. Visiting the large machines as they roll out products on the production line is a must for children and adults. Also, visitors can access a 3D cinema, screening fun films aimed at children.
By the end of the visit, there are several interactive science stations where everyone can test their knowledge and have a lot of fun.
Good to know:
- Be sure to reserve a guided visit in advance as it is well worth it. Guided visits are available in English, Luxembourguish, French and German;
- the guided visit includes tasting of some LuxLait products;
- there is a restaurant serving lunch every day, including on Sundays;
- the museum and all other facilities are accessible by pushchair or pram;
- during school holidays, the Vitarium offers activities for children;
- it is possible to arrange birthday parties and company events at Vitarium, including not only the visit but also cooking lessons.
Opening times: daily, from 8am to 6pm.
Address: Vitarium, L-7759 Roost/Bissen, tel. 250280222
For more information, please visitwww.vitarium.lu or www.luxlait.lu